Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Free Pears


Now, that is a sign that would grab most anyone's attention. It certainly caught ours.

So, yesterday, Mama, Clay, and I decided to go pick some. We made a bee line to those pears like bees to a honey pot and asked the man outside if we could pick. He told us where to go, so around the corner we went to the pear-laden tree. It didn't take us long to pick about 40 pears, a good basket full. Well, let me back up, we didn't pick them all. Most of them were laying on the ground, perfectly ripe, so that all we had to do was pick them up! However, the yellow jackets were swarming about all of the luscious, fermented pears on the ground; I wasn't about to fight the yellow jackets for their mushy nest around the base of the tree! I guess that is why I only had 7 pears in my bag, while Mama's and Clay's bags were bursting their seams. Just know that it is faster to pick pears than strawberries, peanuts, or other small edible items. You should go pick pears sometime; it is very satisfying =).


2 comments:

  1. I never compete with yellow jackets for anything! Thank you for graciously sharing some with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! you just reminded me how much i miss bartlett pears! all we get here are the asian variety...almost like another apple. save one for me for when we return! ;o) so happy for you and your great find!

    ReplyDelete