Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Two In One

5:30 rolled around with no supper on the table or even the finished end in sight. Mama had two things in mind, squash and spinach, both hardly even filling enough for sides. Yet we most definitely wanted those. The squash was still on the vine so it couldn't get any closer to being 'fresh off the vine', while the spinach was withering in the drawer.

One of the over-abundant veggies was ready, but the others weren't quite 3" long, and yet an early death was in sight. Let me state this upfront: Mama and Daddy are the only people in our family who like squash. There you go, the cat is out of the bag. Away with the healthy front of the second sentence. However, being southern, we will eat most anything fried! And eat it with a vengeance we will, too. There was the ticket away from the mushy, squishy, over-cooked vegetable. Fried was the answer, so I put my plan into action. Out of the house, I made a bee line to the garden and guess what I found! A squash with two heads (so to speak). They had grown together! It made my day. Instantly I thought of a blog post. I know. I know. It shouldn't have taken me an hour to cook 'em up for dinner, but I had to take pictures for the blog like every other good blogger (I was disappointed because the pictures didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but, oh, well).

By the way, I love fried squash! And what we had last night was delicious, if I say so myself. Now that the fresh produce is rolling in, I suggest you cook some up, too!





"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it." -Proverbs 15:17

~Molly Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I envy you your squash.

    That said, it is my experience when facing dinner time with no plans and a few fresh vegetables on hand that I can quickly throw together a healthful, tasty, satisfying FRITTATA! You know, kind of like a crustless cousin of a quiche. You just need a couple of savory ingredients like garlic, red onions, and fresh herbs, and some eggs. Saved me many a time when garden vegetables were abundant, fresh eggs plentiful, and the grocery store 45 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete